Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pastoral ministry on the edge of religious conflict

Pastoral ministry on the edge of religious conflict It was shortly after my theological training and the next on my to-do list was taking responsibility as a local Church Pastor. The excitement and uncertainties were mixed and nothing short of unnerving. The role of a pastor in Sub-Saharan Africa, particularly in Nigeria is quite demanding Of particular concern for me was the question of Inter-religious discourse. The relationship between Christians and Muslim in my home city had gone absolutely bad with well integrated neighborhoods becoming separated along religious lines. It appeared that deep animosity was the common feature of these new segregated communities. With a crippled justice system that had left victims oblivious of any respite, the melody of reprisal attack filled the airwave, creating a vicious circle of untamed bloodletting. While the issues at the heart of this challenge could be socio-political, economic and ethnic, for me it was no less a matter of deep theological concern. Simply put, how has my theological training equipped me for this puzzling reality? How would I stand in front of my congregants who have suffered loss of loved ones and their source of living and say to them, ‘it’s all alright’? The dilemma for me as a young Pastor wasn’t that of showcasing my academic prowess in rendering mind blowing homilies carved out of a mastery of exegetical tools but that of resonance and relevance. How would I proclaim biblical truth in such a way that keeps with the integrity of Biblical theology and also relevant to my immediate context? First, this question was one demanding diligent hermeneutics, not only in light of actual biblical context but also that of the context I lived in. Secondly, it demanded sound homiletics that was not just simply speaking at people but one that genuinely empathizes and lovingly applies biblical truth. A lot is at stake and the pastoral ministry in such a dire context puts the pastor on the edge.

No comments: